Tuesday, January 22, 2013

No-Bake Energy Bites



{This is a repost from my old blog, Papermellie.  This was one of my most popular posts and I wanted to tell you that after almost a year of making these on an almost weekly basis... this is one of my family's most fave {healthy} treats!!  Whether I make 1, 2 or 3 batches at a time, they are gone within a day!}

No-Bake Energy Bites {PI #60}

This has got to be my favorite Pinterest recipes thus far!
I am always looking for ways to satisfy both my sweet tooth and love for things that nourish my body.  As I've gotten older, I've been more in touch with what fuels my body and what shuts it down.
I LOVE sweets, but always regret eating certain things because I physically feel so horrible.  I'm slowly transitioning into a place where feeling healthy and energetic is much more enjoyable than a few indulgent moments of sweet treats.
Don't misunderstand, I find so much joy in baking that I will not be giving that up anytime soon, but am trying to find a better balance.
These No-Bake Energy Bites will definitely be a new staple in our home! They are the best of both worlds!
This is something that my children {and myself} can enjoy and I can feel good about putting this in our bodies for fuel AND I know exactly what is in there. These are honestly better than any store bought granola bar/ bite that I have tried {and we buy a LOT of bars here!}
Here is the recipe courtesy of gimmesomeoven
No-Bake Energy Bites Recipe
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup (dry) oatmeal (I used old-fashioned oats)
  • 1 cup toasted coconut flakes
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup ground flax seed
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
Method:
Stir all ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed.  Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour.  Once chilled, roll into balls of whatever size you would like.  (Mine were about 1″ in diameter.)  Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Makes about 20-25 balls.

In case you are not fully convinced, I thought I would share with you just a few specific benefits of the bites.
The Oatmeal {courtesy of Care2.com}
Low calorie food; stops cravings.
Provides high levels of fiber, low levels of fat, and high levels of protein.
Stabilizes blood sugar and reduces risk of diabetes (type 2)
Removes your bad cholesterol (without affecting your good cholesterol).
Contains lignans which protect against heart disease and cancer.
Contains unique antioxidants beneficial for heart disease.
Protects against heart failure.
Enhances immune response to disease.

The Honey {courtesy of organicfacts.net}
Antibacterial and Anti fungal Properties.
Good Source of Vitamins and Minerals.
Good source of energy {easy to digest} Improves Athletic Performance.

The Flax seed {Courtesy of flaxhealth.com}
Fights Cholesterol, Diabetes, Constipation, Inflammation, Heart Disease & “The Blues”
High in lignans, Omega 3’s & Fiber

I went ahead and packaged these in little baggies for the kiddos to grab on the go!



No comments:

Post a Comment