Tuesday, January 7, 2014

One Little Word 2014



“We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day.”  
Edith Lovejoy Pierce
 
I love a new year!
I am an optimist that genuinely believes it's the perfect time to do things better!
I know, I know, it's something we can strive for all year long, but there is something splendid about a completely fresh and different year.
 
For the past 4 years I have chosen a word for the year.   The idea was sparked by a story I heard on K love and it really struck a chord with me.  You can see my 2013 word and the story behind it here.  Other years have included the words "Intentional" and "Simplify"  The idea is to choose a word that sums up your focus for the new year!  That's not too hard, right??!!
 
This year I knew early on what it would be... probably some time in late November. My sister was the only one that I shared this with.
 
2013 had been a challenge {and to be honest, I did not do well honoring my one word, "choose"}.
 
We all have different challenges of different sorts at different times and this past years challenges for me were more internal. 
 
I found myself second guessing all of my choices... silly and simple choices.  I was doubting everything... my path, my purpose, my parenting, my relationships. I felt hurt and disappointed by people that I love. Maybe it was something as simple as an unanswered text, a broken date or not being included. Do you ever find yourself just shutting down because you don't want to confront that hurt??   I need work in that area!
 
There is something that I say ALL THE TIME to my kids!!!  Then I heard that gentle whisper "practice what you preach"?  It was: "you can't control what others do, you can only control how you respond" That led me to my word for this year:
 
CONFIDENCE
 
con·fi·dence:
: a feeling or belief that you can do something well or succeed at something
: a feeling or belief that someone or something is good or has the ability to succeed at something
: the feeling of being certain that something will happen or that something is true
 
But even way above these dictionary definitions, I want to have confidence in God's will for my life. 
I want to trust that when he lays a passion or decision on my heart, there is a good reason even when I don't immediately understand it.  And finally, I want to trust that every person and relationship that is a part of my life has a purpose.
 
I want to challenge you friend, if you haven't done so already, to choose YOUR word for 2014!
 
Each year I make a piece of jewelry with my word on it as a constant reminder. You can find this years Necklace in my Etsy shop.

 
 Be sure to share in the comments what your word is!!

Blessings to you all for a fabulous 2014!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment