Saturday, September 1, 2012

DIY Up-cycled Key Necklace ON THE CHEAP

Ok, I admit... I am a little obsessive when it comes to finding a way to make something super fabulous while spending the very least amount of money possible.
I mean, come on, times are tough right now for everyone, but we still want to be gorgeous and wear pretty little things, right?
So, we have this metal candle holder in one of our kitchen cabinets that is filled with old keys.  Keys from previous cars and who knows what else!  So my wheels were turning.  They are such a cool piece of metal, they shouldn't just be quarantined to a key ring {or tin in a cabinet!}.  They should be given some extra attention.  A little pizazz, if you will.  
That's just what I decided to do.  I picked a few of them that I thought had some pretty cool character {and that I knew were no longer functional for us} and I brought them back to life!

Supplies you'll need:
{feel free to be creative and add your own personal touches!}

*Key
*Metal Stamp Set
*Glue 
*Glitter
*Clear Nail Polish {or another sealer}
*Old earring or button
*Wire cutters
*Chain
*Clasp

I loved that this particular key had the perfect blank space for some text, so I started by adding "Be You" with my metal stamp set.  Now if you like simple, this would be a fine place to stop, but I am a girl that loves some sparkle so I really needed to keep going.  I added some glue around the text {I love the Martha Stewart Permanent Glue}, covering the remainder of the key.  Then I added some blush glitter {again, using Martha Stewart }  I waited for that to set and coated it with clear nail polish.  Like I said, I was going with what I had on hand to make it a "no-cost" project, but you could also use another form of sealing medium over the glitter to see that it did not come off on your clothing.  Finally, I added an old spare earring to the corner {use wire cutters to remove the post from the earring first} and Voila!  I simply added some chain with a toggle clasp and I had a brand new sparkling accessory!


Do you have any fun, inexpensive DIY projects that you'd like to share?  
I would love to hear about them!





1 comment:

  1. This is so cute! We have a similar container with who-knows-what-lock-this-went-to keys...
    Great thinking! Cute too....
    :-)

    Crystelle
    http://www.crystelleboutique.com

    ReplyDelete